According to many cricket fans, the matches between India-Pakistan, England-Australia.. teams are juicy. But another pair of opponents who come in the same category..
According to many cricket fans, the matches between India-Pakistan, England-Australia.. teams are juicy. But another pair of rivals that falls in the same category is India-Australia. The long awaited day of Test series has arrived for cricket fans. Test series against Aussies will be held in India from tomorrow (February 9). The Vidarbha Cricket Stadium in Nagpur will be the venue for the first match of the four-Test series in the name of Border-Gavaskar Trophy. So far, who has the upper hand in the matches held at the Vidarbha ground..? Now let’s take a look at the past statistics.
After almost five years, a Test match is going to be held at the Nagpur Stadium. The last time India faced Sri Lanka (IND vs SL) was in November 2017. Team India won by a huge innings margin of 239 runs against Lanka. But so far six Tests have been played in this stadium. It is remarkable that India has the upper hand in this. While India won four Tests, they lost only one match. Another ended in a draw. India suffered defeat at the hands of South Africa (2010). Cricket analysts on the pitch predict that the first two days will be favorable for fast bowling, but from the third day onwards, it will become a haven for spinners.
The first Test at Vidarbha ground is with the Aussies.
The Vidarbha Stadium in Nagpur hosted the 2008 India-Australia (IND vs AUS) Test match. This is the first Test at this ground. India won by 172 runs. Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar (109) along with Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag and MS Dhoni scored half-centuries in the Test against Aussies at the batting-friendly Nagpur Stadium. Batting first, Team India scored 441/10 in the first innings. After that, Simon Katich (102), Michael Hussey (90) and Cameron White (46) were able to score 355 runs. In the second innings, India scored 295/10 and set a huge target of 382 runs against the Aussies. But the spinners Harbhajan (4/64), Amit Mishra (3/27) and Ishant Sharma (2/31) in the then Indian team collapsed to 209 runs and lost by 172 runs. In this match, the current coach Rahul Dravid (0, 2) failed in both innings and disappointed.
Some more features of Vidarbha Stadium..
- Highest score: 610/6 declared. India’s runs against Sri Lanka
- Lowest Score: South Africa were bowled out for 79 runs against India in the 2015/16 season.
- Highest Individual Score Against India: South Africa’s Hashim Amla scored 253* runs against India (2010/11).
- Best Bowling Performance: Aussie bowler Jason Kreja 8/215 against India (2008/2009).
- Batsman with most runs: Former Indian player Virender Sehwag is at the first position with 357 runs. After that Virat Kohli continues with 354 runs. Now Kohli has a chance to surpass Sehwag if he scores four more runs in this Test.
- Most wickets: It is remarkable that Ravichandran Ashwin, who is the Aussie’s favorite, is the bowler who has taken the most wickets here. This veteran spinner has taken 19 wickets so far.
Click here for more sports news..